What do I need to pay to avoid disconnection of service and when do I have to pay it?
- The fastest and most accessible way to obtain disconnection information (balance owed and payment deadline) is to call 574.235.9236.
- You will need your account number or the phone number associated with your account.
- This service is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week at no charge to you.
- Payments must be made by 5:00 p.m. on the date printed on your disconnection notice (also provided through our automated phone system) to guarantee that your water service will not be disconnected.
- The Utility will continue accepting payments after 5:00 p.m., but cannot guarantee a payment made after 5:00 p.m. will prevent service disconnection.
- If your account is processed for disconnection, you will have to pay the entire past-due balance on your account to have services restored. This often includes another month's bill.
Where can I get an extension or make payment arrangements?
- All extensions and/or payment arrangements must be made in the Customer Service Office by 5:00 p.m. on the "Disconnection Date" printed on your red disconnect notice or provided through our automated phone system (574.235.9236.)
- There will be no payment arrangements or extensions given after services have been processed for disconnection.
How do I get services restored once I have been processed for disconnection?
- Once you have been processed for disconnection, you must pay your entire past-due balance to have water service restored.
- This amount often includes another month's bill on top of what would have been owed to avoid disconnection of service.
- If payment is made by 4:00 p.m. and either 311 or the Utility is notified, you may have water services restored same-day.
- If payment is not made by 4:00 p.m., restoration of water service can be scheduled for the next business day.
- Hours are subject to service availability and may vary in the summer months.
- A responsible adult must be present at the home when water is restored.
- Property owners have the option of signing a waiver of liability if they do not wish to be present at the location when water service is restored.
- The form is also available at the Utility's Customer Service Office.
- If it is not filled out in person in the office, it must be notarized and either faxed to 574-235-5645 or emailed to email@example.com.
- If no one is present when service arrives to turn the water back on, and a return trip must be made to restore services, a $15.00 return trip fee will be applied to the account.
311 Process Notes
Liaisons should inform the customer about the Utility Assistance Program to see if they can qualify. More information can be found in the South Bend Utility Assistance Program article.