Report Traffic Signal Outages and Damaged Signs

Report Traffic Signal Outages and Damaged Signs

Use only when a traffic signal is flashing, completely out or one or more lights in the signal aren't working, or there is a missing or damaged Stop or Yield sign.

DO NOT USE to report signal timing issues, non-functioning walk-wait indicator, non-functioning pedestrian crossing button, or to report issues with traffic signs other than Stop or Yield signs, or to request having a new sign or signal installed. Information on this request can be found in the Non-Critical Traffic Requests Article. 

How do I report a missing or damaged Stop or Yield sign, a flashing traffic signal or a signal that is completely out?

Call 311 – A liaison will answer your call during normal business hours (7:30 a.m. – 5:30 p.m.).

If it is after normal business hours (7:30 a.m. - 5:30 p.m.), follow the prompts to report a Street Emergency.

What information will I need to report this issue?

When you call, please provide your name and phone number as well as the following information:

  • Intersection location:
    • Which intersection is having the issue?  (Ex: Lafayette and South)
    • Which direction are you traveling? (Ex: northbound on Lafayette)
    • What time of day did you experience the problem?
  • Description of both the issue and the scale of the issue:
    • What is the issue? (missing or damaged sign, traffic signal out/flashing, etc.)
    • What type of sign is missing or damaged? Ie stop or yield sign
    • Is the signal flashing? What color?
    • Is the signal completely out in all directions? Or just one signal or light?

How long does it take to respond to a traffic signal service request?

Traffic & Lighting crews will respond to traffic emergencies immediately. The first order of business will be to make the intersection safe. Traffic & Lighting crews will evaluate the issue and implement repairs as soon as possible. If a permanent sign or signal repair cannot be set up immediately, temporary signs will be set up.

311 Process Notes


During business hours:  6:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m., critical requests are sent to the Division of Streets via service request and followed up with a phone call to the Radio Room.

After business hours: Contact SBPD Dispatch