What are the Water Rates & Charges?
Click here to download the current schedule of Water Rates & Charges.
- In early 2017, South Bend approved a two-year water rate increase equal to 22% in the first year of implementation and 22% in the second year of implementation.
- The two-year water rate increases were approved by the Indiana Utility Regulatory Commission in March of 2018.
- The first 22% increase is effective as of 3/19/2018.
- For the average inside-city residential customer, a 22% water rate increase equates to:
- A little more than $3.00 per month in additional water charges, or $0.10 per day
- A combined South Bend Municipal Utilities bill that increases by less than 4%
Where can I find Trash or Sewer Rates?
For Sewer Rates & Charges, click here.
- On January 24th, 2017, the City of South Bend reaffirmed a surcharge on outside-city sewer customers. The surcharge replaces compact fees to outside-city Utility customers in the Municipal Code and is scheduled to increase over three years:
- 5% effective 1/1/2017 (Delayed until 10/1/17 due to legal challenges ultimately resolved in favor of the City);
- 10% effective 1/1/2018;
- 14% effective 1/1/2019;
For Trash (and other Solid Waste) charges, click here.
Clean Air charges are billed pursuant to Section 9-22 of South Bend Municipal Ordinance.
Why did the City increase Water rates?
- South Bend's water rates have not increased since 2006 and are among the lowest in comparable cities across Indiana and would remain so even after full implementation.
- These increases will fund $23 million of the over $88 million in identified capital needs over the next 6 years.