Water Rates & Charges
- Why did the City increase Water rates?
- What are the Water Rates & Charges?
- Where can I find Sewer Rates?
- 311 Process Notes
Explains where to find water, sewer and clean air rates and charges. Also explains the pending water rates and charges increase.
Why did the City increase Water rates?
- South Bend's water rates have not increased since 2006 and are among the lowest in comparable cities across Indiana and would remain so even after full implementation.
- These increases will fund $23 million of the over $88 million in identified capital needs over the next 6 years.
What are the Water Rates & Charges?
Click here to download the current schedule of Water Rates & Charges.
- In early 2017, South Bend approved a two-year water rate increase equal to 22% in the first year of implementation and 22% in the second year of implementation.
- The two-year water rate increases were approved by the Indiana Utility Regulatory Commission in March of 2018.
- The first 22% increase is effective as of 3/19/2018.
- The second 22% increase is effective as of 3/19/2019.
- For the average inside-city residential customer, a 22% water rate increase equates to:
- A little more than $3.00 per month in additional water charges, or $0.10 per day
- A combined South Bend Municipal Utilities bill that increases by less than 4%
Where can I find Sewer Rates?
For Sewer Rates & Charges, click here.
- On January 24th, 2017, the City of South Bend reaffirmed a surcharge on outside-city sewer customers. The surcharge replaces compact fees to outside-city Utility customers in the Municipal Code and is scheduled to increase over three years:
- 5% effective 1/1/2017 (Delayed until 10/1/17 due to legal challenges ultimately resolved in favor of the City);
- 10% effective 1/1/2018;
- 14% effective 1/1/2019;
Clean Air charges are billed pursuant to Section 9-22 of South Bend Municipal Ordinance.