What are examples of taxi cab violations?
Neighborhood Services & Enforcement will investigate these types of complaints against taxi cabs:
- Hazardous vehicle conditions: lack of seat belts, dirty, stained interior, damaged/wrecked
- Lack of cleanliness and poor hygiene of vehicle operator
- Rates are not posted in or outside the vehicle
- Overcharging customer
- Unlicensed/Expired Taxi Cab Vehicle
- Unlicensed/Expired Taxi Cab Operator License
- No company offices within City limits
- Taxi cab company with inoperable business line
Neighborhood Services & Enforcement will NOT investigate these taxi cab complaints:
- Uber or Lyft drivers/vehicles because they are not licensed by the City (please report to Police Department)
- Moving Violations: speeding, reckless driving, accidents, hit and runs, driving while intoxicated, etc.
Please direct these complaints to the Police Department, 574-235-9361.
Please direct taxi cab complaints outside of City limits to the proper enforcement authorities (County Police, Notre Dame Police, etc).
How do I make a taxi cab complaint?
Please call 311.
Please note that the more information and details you have about the taxi cab or operator, the more effectively Neighborhood Services & Enforcement can investigate the complaint.
What is the complaint procedure?
Inspectors may observe unlicensed cabs operating in the city limits of South Bend, verifies the physical location of their offices, and may issue tickets for cabs in violation.
If a resident submits a complaint, Neighborhood Services & Enforcement will investigate the details and determine what enforcement action is necessary.
How do I get more information on cab complaints?
To obtain more information on cab complaints, please see South Bend Municipal Code Section 4 - 61
311 Process Notes
Complaint Intake Questions:
What is the nature of the complaint? (overcharging, cab conditions, etc)
If overcharged: Do you have receipts as proof?
If moving violation (speeding, reckless driving, etc): Code Enforcement can take no action, please direct to Police Dept
What is the cab company?
What is the cab sticker number? (it is typically on back window)
What is the driver's name and/or description of the driver?
Do you have video or photos of the incident?
What is the make/model or description of the vehicle?
If the resident wants the dept to follow-up, please get contact information: Name, email, phone