What are examples of taxi cab violations?
Code Enforcement will investigate these types of complaints against taxi cabs:
- Hazardous vehicle conditions: lack of seat belts, dirty, stained interior, damaged/wrecked
- Lack of cleanliness and poor hygiene of vehicle operator
- Rates are not posted in or outside the vehicle
- Overcharging customer
- Unlicensed/Expired Taxi Cab Vehicle
- Unlicensed/Expired Taxi Cab Operator License
- No company offices within City limits
- Taxi cab company with inoperable business line
Code Enforcement will NOT investigate these taxi cab complaints:
- Uber or Lyft drivers/vehicles because they are not licensed by the City (please report to Police Department)
- Moving Violations: speeding, reckless driving, accidents, hit and runs, driving while intoxicated, etc.
Please direct these complaints to the Police Department, 574-235-9361.
Please direct taxi cab complaints outside of City limits to the proper enforcement authorities (County Police, Notre Dame Police, etc).
What is the complaint procedure?
Inspectors may observe unlicensed cabs operating in the city limits of South Bend, verifies the physical location of their offices, and may issue tickets for cabs in violation.
If a resident submits a complaint, the Department of Code Enforcement will investigate the details and determine what enforcement action is necessary.
How do I make a taxi cab complaint?
Please call 311.
Please note that the more information and details you have about the taxi cab or operator, the more effectively the Department of Code Enforcement can investigate the complaint.
How do I get more information on cab complaints?