What is Citywide Classroom South Bend?
Citywide Classroom South Bend is a collaborative partnership with the City of South Bend, South Bend Community School Corporation (SBCSC), and enFocus. CCSB is funded through the Governor's Emergency Education Relief grant, awarded to the partners in September of 2020.
The mission of CCSB is to expand connectivity resources typically found in South Bend classrooms into the neighborhoods and homes of the students we serve by providing free at-home internet to eligible students and families.
What services does CCSB offer?
CCSB offers two different types of at-home internet connections:
- Comcast Internet Essentials package provides internet modems to student households for in-home WiFi. An internet modem is a device that connects your home to internet through a cable connection to Comcast. This package is ideal for permanent households with multiple students that attend virtual learning at home.
- Mobile data hotspots provide unlimited data use to access WiFi in a portable device. A mobile data hotspot turns a cellular data connection into a WiFi connection you can use to connect a tablet, smartphone, computer, or another WiFi-enabled device.
Both connections offer internet free of charge for one year (12 months) after device activation. After one year, there is the option to purchase monthly internet through Comcast or through the mobile data hotspot provider.
Who is eligible for free internet?
Students and families must meet the following criteria:
- Students must be enrolled in a SBCSC school (including all Empowerment Zone schools). Visit our website at CitywideClassroomSB.org/Eligibility to see select non-public schools that may be eligible.
- Students must qualify for free or reduced-price meal benefits through the National School Lunch Program.* If you are unsure whether the student qualifies and is enrolled in free or reduced price meal benefits, contact SBCSC Food and Nutrition Services by calling 574-393-6059 or contact CCSB.
*Some SBCSC students may receive free meals based on the school they attend, but this does not mean that the student qualifies for free or reduced-price meals. Contact SBCSC Food and Nutrition Services or CCSB for more information.
How do I apply for free internet?
CCSB offers multiple options to apply for free internet:
- Apply online at CitywideClassroomSB.org/Apply. Applications online are offered in English and in Spanish.
- Call your SBCSC school! Ask for the "CCSB Access Team" to walk through the application over the phone.
- Call CCSB at (574) 703-1881. CCSB offers English and Spanish support over the phone.
- Call or visit your local SJCPL branch. SJCPL staff is equipped to help you through the application over the phone or in person.
- Find CCSB at an event near you! Visit CitywideClassroomSB.org/Outreach to find what local events CCSB will be attending in South Bend.