Views: 2518

Coronavirus (COVID-19)

The City of South Bend is actively monitoring Coronavirus (COVID-19) in our area and taking appropriate steps to mitigate its spread.

“It’s important that we all take steps to protect the health and wellbeing of our residents, especially those most vulnerable to the disease,” said Mayor James Mueller. “The City will continue to follow the advice of public health experts and provide updates as the situation evolves.”

Who is at risk for the Coronavirus (COVID-19)?

Vulnerable populations – which include those 60 years or older or with underlying health conditions – may be more susceptible to complications from a COVID-19 infection. The City encourages members of vulnerable populations to avoid large gatherings and asks that those who are sick stay home and contact their healthcare provider. 

Individuals at any age are considered at higher risk if they have health conditions such as blood disorders, chronic kidney disease, chronic liver disease, compromised immune system, current or recent pregnancy in the last two weeks, endocrine disorders, metabolic disorders, heart disease, neurological conditions, lung disease, or other chronic conditions associated with impaired lung function or that require home oxygen. 

What steps should residents take?

In line with recommendations from the Center for Disease Control and Prevention and the St. Joseph County Health Department, the City of South Bend recommends practicing common-sense health safety tips and social distancing, including:

  • Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds, or use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer that contains at least 60% alcohol if soap is not available.
  • Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands.
  • Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
  • If you become sick, stay home and contact your healthcare provider.
  • Utilize cough and sneeze etiquette by coughing or sneezing into your elbow or a tissue.
  • Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces daily.

Recommended measures include social distancing, good hygiene and making sure that residents stay home and call their healthcare provider when exhibiting symptoms. Residents who don’t have a healthcare provider can call the County’s hotline at 211. Other hotlines are Beacon Health System at 855.523.2225, South Bend Clinic at 574.307.6870 and Saint Joseph Health System at 574.335.8650.

Are any City of South Bend services or facility hours changed?

The City has taken the following actions:

  • The County-City Building will be closed to walk-in service until further notice.
  • Closing its community centers effective Tuesday, March 17 until further notice.
  • Suspending water shutoffs effective immediately for the next 8 weeks at least.
  • Closing face-to-face payments at the Water Works Customer Service Office. Payments can still be made through the drive-thru and 24-hr dropbox at the Customer Service Office, via mail, online, or by calling the IVR phone system at 235.9236.

Which City Services remain uninterrupted?

The City continues to work to provide vital services to residents, including:

  • Water access
  • Trash pickup
  • Public safety services
  • EMS
  • 311 Service Center access

How do I access City Services remotely?

Most city services can still be accessed by calling 311. For more specific needs, see the following list of contacts to access services remotely.

Renewing Business Licenses
If you are an establishment that needs to renew your business occupational license, please do so online by visiting select Renew License.  After that, enter your current license and pin number and then follow the menu instructions.  If you need your license and pin number please e-mail Michelle Adams at

Getting a new Business License
For new businesses needing a business license, please e-mail Michelle Adams, Business License Administrator, at to help determine what type(s) of license(s) you will need based on your business activity.  Please include the following information:

  • A detailed description of your business activity
  • The exact business address
  • Name of your business entity and ownership information

Plan Commission, Board of Zoning Appeals, and Zoning Administration
Until further notice, the Zoning Division will be working remotely. Any application filed via email ( will continue to be processed, however additional review time may be necessary. Permits will not be issued until such time as payments can be received. Please check here for additional updates and changes to any filing deadlines.

Historic Preservation
Until further notice, the Historic Preservation Commission will be working remotely. Any application filed via email ( will be processed, however additional review time may be necessary.  A Certificate of Appropriateness will not be issued until such time as payments can be received. Please check here for additional updates and changes to any filing deadlines.

Animals Found Running-at-Large/Lost Animals
South Bend Animal Resource Center (SBARC) has suspended in-person walk throughs of the stray hold areas and has also temporarily suspended owner surrenders. Animals that are found running-at-large, and that are being held at the center, will be posted on SBARC’s Facebook page.  If you have lost your pet, please fill out the lost cat or dog report found here:  Please contact SBARC through their Facebook page or by e-mailing

Public Records Requests (APRA)
All APRA forms must be submitted electronically until further notice via Forms are available online at

Liability Claims
In accordance with Ind. Code § 34-13-3-10, please send claims via U.S. mail only, addressed to City of South Bend Department of Law, Attn: Claims Administrator, 1200 County-City Building 227 W. Jefferson Blvd., South Bend, IN 46601.

Building Department
The Building Department is currently open with limited staff on hand and encourages residents to have as much information as possible (applications) prepared before coming to the office. This is to limit the duration of visits to protect residents and staff.
The building department is still doing inspections, finals and answering questions.  You can still contact inspectors by calling the office at 574-235-9554 option #2 and staff will forward the message to inspectors in the field via phone or email. 

Applications for Sidewalk Cafes, Encroachment & Board of Public Works Items
Board of Public Works and Board of Public Safety will continue to meet at regularly scheduled times. Meetings will be moved to the Common Council Chambers when available to allow safe space for attendees. The public can access Board of Works applications for sidewalk cafes, encroachments, etc. at Those applications should be sent to or

Reporting Sewer Issues
For back-ups, smells, cave-ins and street flooding, residents should call 311 and follow the prompts to be transferred to the Division of Streets.

Reporting Street Issues
For potholes, dead animals in the right-of-way, debris causing traffic hazard, residents should call 311 and follow the prompts to be transferred to the Division of Streets.

Reporting Traffic & Lighting Issues
For signals not working, signals on flash or bulbs out, stop or yield signs knocked down, street light poles knocked down, residents should call 311 and follow the prompts for Traffic & Lighting.

South Bend Green Corps
South Bend Green Corps will not be performing home weatherization visits in the near term. For questions about the program or to be added to the list for when services recommence, email or call 574.235.5905.

Water Works Customer Service Office
Even though the lobby of the Water Works Customer Service office is closed for face-to-face payments, residents can still pay their utility bill through the drive-thru or the 24-hr drop box. Payments can also be made via mail, online or calling the IVR phone system at 235.9236.

Permits Office - Engineering
Contractors or Utilities in need of a permit should download the application from the Engineering webpage and email it to

Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) Claims or Concerns
If you are disabled and believe that City services, programs, or activities are not accessible to you,  or if you believe you were treated less favorably than a non-disabled person in a City service, program or activity, you may contact the City’s ADA Coordinator at

Where can I find more information?

Members of the public are encouraged to visit the St. Joseph County Health Department website and the Center for Disease Control and Prevention website  to learn more about the COVID-19 outbreak.

311 Process Notes

Please refer to the CDC webpage or the SJC Health Department at 235-9750.