Does South Bend have a Wellhead Protection Plan?
The South Bend Water Works (SBWW) has had a WHPP in place since March 2000 to sustain drinking water quality in the water wells that supply our public water. Although SBWW maintains the plan, wellhead protection must be a community effort.
What can the community do to help?
Here are some steps you can take to help protect our water supply:
- Know what contaminants you have on your property and be sure they are stored, used and disposed of in a safe manner. Contact the St. Joseph County Household Hazardous Waste at 574.235.9971 for questions about disposal.
- Limit your use of harsh chemicals, pesticides, fertilizers and other hazardous products and look for less toxic alternatives.
- Recycle used motor oil and antifreeze.
- Make sure any well not in use on your property has been abandoned properly. Contact the IDNR - Division of Water at 1.877.928.3755 for information on how to plug wells.
- Get involved with the Wellhead Protection Plan by contacting the water quality staff at email@example.com.