Void A Utility Payment

Views: 343

Void A Utility Payment

Explains under what circumstances the Utility can and cannot void payments when an over-payment or duplicate payment occurs. Also explains what a customer must do to request that a posted payment be reversed and/or returned.

How can I have a payment voided?

  • If you made a duplicate payment or an over-payment through your credit or debit card and if the payment was made via South Bend's online portal or via IVR:
    • The Utility can only potentially void the payment if you contact us on the same calendar day in which the payment was made.  
      • Contact 311 or the Utility immediately at 574.235.9236 to request the payment to be voided.
    • If the payment has already been made, on a previous day to your Utility account, the Utility cannot void or refund it to your debit or credit card. 
      • If you need to have a payment reversed and the Utility is unable to do so, you must contact your depositing bank before the Utility can do anything.
      • Once the Utility receives notification from your bank that the payment has been rejected ("charged back") or that the funds have been returned to the card, the Utility can reverse the payment on your account.
  • If you made a duplicate payment or an over-payment through a third party payer or through your bank's bill-pay option, you must contact them to have the payment cancelled.

What are my options when there is a net credit on my account?

If there is a credit on your account as a result of an over-payment or a duplicate payment, it will be applied towards future bills.

311 Process Notes

If there is a large credit on an account due to an over-payment or duplicate payment, forward to a manager at the Utility for review and potential issuance of a refund check. Please ask the date and time they made the payment and how they made the payment. Was the payment made through their bank's online bill pay, through our portal, through a third party or via any other payment portal.