What do volunteers do?
- Assist with natural and man-made disasters
- Act as the "Eyes & Ears" of the police
- Report quality of life issues
- Assist with traffic control for:
- Sporting events
- Other special events in the City
Volunteers may assist with a variety of Department functions, depending on need and the volunteer's skills and interests.
What type of training does a volunteer receive?
- Radio communications
- Traffic control
- Weather spotter
- Radar gun
How do I become a volunteer at SBPD?
- Complete Citizen's Police Academy prior to applying (9 week program)
- Be 18 yrs. old (21 if your duties require you to drive a Department vehicle)
- Have a valid drivers license or ID card
- Have a clear driving record
- Submit to and pass a background check
- Attend one training class per month
- Work 4 hours of patrol or special events per month (minimum participation requirement)
Training classes are free.
Volunteer gear is issued upon graduation.
Who do I contact for more information?
Volunteer Unit Contact:
Sgt. Brad Rohrscheib