Views: 865

Building Permit Fees

How are permit fee amounts determined?

Construction and demolition permit fees are based on the square footage being added or removed.

Structural permit fees for remodels are based on the job cost, which includes labor and materials needed to complete code-related work for the entire project. This fee is for projects that don't include constructing more square footage.

Permit fees for Electric, Plumbing, and HVAC are determined based on the specific categories of work being completed. 

How do I pay for a permit?

Permit fees must be paid in person or via mail at the Building Department- 125 S. Lafayette Blvd., Suite 100 South Bend, IN 46601

Our department accepts cash or check payment only, no credit or debit cards.

Checks should be made payable to St. Joseph County/South Bend.

If an Electric, Plumbing, or HVAC contractor is pulling a permit, that fee must be paid by company check, or else with cash by the license-holder only with ID.

When do I pay for my permit?

Permit fees must be paid prior to permit issuance. 

Who should pay a permit fee?

For Electric, Plumbing, and HVAC Permits for work being performed by licensed contractors, permit fees must be paid by company check (cash will only be accepted from license holder with ID).  

For all other Permits, permit fees may be paid by check or cash only by either the contractor or the property owner.

Checks should be made payable to St. Joseph County/South Bend.