Payment Extension for Utility Bill
- Payment Extensions
- Allows a customer up to fifteen (15) additional calendar days beyond the disconnection date to avoid service disconnection.
- Customers may receive up to 12 extensions per calendar year.
- Extensions must be entered on the portal (utilities.southbendin.gov) by 4:00 p.m, by calling 311, by calling the IVR system (574-235-9236) or by going to the Customer Service office at: 125 W Colfax on or before the payment deadline date printed on the red disconnect notice and/or provided through the delinquency phone calls.
- No extensions will be given once an account has been processed for disconnection.
- A customer who does not pay by the extension date provided will be ineligible for an Extension for 60 days.
When should I get a payment extension?
Customers should apply for a payment extension once they have received a disconnection notice with a disconnection date on it.
Customers can sign up for a payment plan if (1) they’ve received a disconnection notice and (2) cannot pay their balance by the shut off date.
311 Process Notes
Customers can also get help with paying their utility bill in these ways:
- UAP - Sign up for the Utility Assistance Program at https://southbendin.gov/uap
- LIHEAP/LIWHAP - Sign up for the LIHEAP/LIWHAP by calling REAL Services at (574) 232-6501 or apply online at realservices.org/energy-assistance. The application deadline is May 16, 2023.
- Community support – Find local community organizations that also provide utility support at https://southbendin.gov/supporting-south-bend/#programs
Utilities started the water shut off process on December 1, 2022. Utilities will conduct the first shut offs at the end of December. Customers will be able to set up a payment plan online at utilities.southbendin.gov, in-person at the Utilities office at 125 W. Colfax Ave. or call 311.
Customers can sign up for a payment plan if they have received a disconnection notice and are unable to make payment prior to the specified shut off date.