How much does it cost for an extra trash pick-up?
Each month, the first large item or cubic yard is free. Each additional item or cubic yard will be charged at $20 per cubic yard.
Extra pickups over $100 will need to be approved by the resident prior to the removal.
Are there any items NOT allowed for extra pickup?
The following items are NOT allowed for extra pickups:
- TVs, DVD players, fax machines, cable boxes, iPods, portable GPS navigation system, e-readers, MP3 players, etc.
- Cameras, camcorders and digital photo frames.
- Computers and associated accessories - monitors, printers, external hard drives, scanners, mice, keyboards, etc.
- Oil, fuel, paint, solvents, any item containing Freon (refrigerators, freezers, etc.), water heaters, propane tanks, batteries, yard waste or tires.
Any items with human or animal bodily fluids such as blood, urine, feces, etc., will not be picked up. Resident must contact an outside source for removal of all bio-hazardous material.
Where do I dispose of items that are not allowed in the weekly trash or extra pickup?
Residents can drop off materials at the Household Hazardous Waste facility, located at 828 Kerr Street in South Bend. Residents can deliver electronics Monday through Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. and Saturday from 8:00 a.m. to noon. The Household Hazardous Waste facility can be reached at 574.235.9972.
The following materials are accepted:
- Aerosols: spray paint, insect sprays, etc.
- Batteries: only Ni-Cad, Lithium, button cell and rechargeable batteries
- Corrosives: lye, acids, drain cleaner
- Mercury: elemental, thermostats, switches and relays, vapor lamps
- Paints and solvents: paints, stains, finishing oils, thinners
- Pesticides/herbicides: weed and grass killer, insect killers, garden chemicals
- Poisons: mouse and rat killers, roach and ant killers
- Waste fuels: charcoal lighter, fuel oil, gasoline
- Waste oils and lubricants: engine, gear, coolants
View list of acceptable electronics.
To dispose of appliances containing Freon, lawn mowers and other household items, contact OmniSource at 574.287.3311.
Where should items be placed for extra pickup?
Items for pickup must be placed at the front curb of the property by 6:00 a.m. on the scheduled pickup day. Items must be in the tree lawn area, away from any fences, mailboxes, cars, trees or other containers. Items should not be under any power lines or trees. All items must be able to be disposed of and will not be returned.
How do I request an extra trash pick-up?
To schedule an extra pickup, residents can fill out the online form or can call 311 between the hours of 7:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. The online form must be submitted by 2:00 p.m. on the business day prior to the scheduled trash pick-up day. Forms submitted after the 2:00 p.m. deadline will be scheduled for the following week.
Note: A confirmation email will be sent once the request has been processed by Solid Waste. This may take up to 24 hours.
Only the primary account holder (landlord, property manager, etc.) can schedule an extra trash pick-up. The last four numbers of the social security number are needed in order to schedule.