SBPD-INQUIRY: File A Police Report

What kind of reports can I file by phone or in-person?

Public Service Officers can take the following incident reports by phone:

  • Larceny, including vehicles and license plates
  • Vandalism (Except gang graffiti)
  • Assault not involving serious injuries
  • Threat reports and harassing phone calls
  • Found/lost property
  • Fraud
  • Gas drive offs
  • Missing persons and escapees
  • Preliminary reports for Child Protective Services
  • Shoplifting reports
  • Supplemental reports (Additional information for a report already taken)

The following types of reports can be done at the front desk in person:

  • Motor vehicle theft
  • Report a runaway
  • Cancellation of missing person report

For some incident types, the Public Service Officer will need to send an Officer to the scene. If the incident you call about cannot be reported by phone, the Public Service Officer will advise you on the appropriate steps.

The following types of calls require that a person filing a report must meet with an officer in-person:

  • Domestic violence
  • Assault resulting in serious injuries
  • Burglary
  • Robbery
  • Accidents and public accidents
  • Rape
  • Homicide
  • Arson
  • Cancellation of runaway report
  • Cancellation of motor vehicle theft. Officer has to be dispatched or complainant and vehicle must be at police department. 

Where can I File a Police Report?

Anyone wishing to file a non-emergency police report can contact the South Bend Police Department by phone or in-person 24 hours a day.

Phone: 574-235-9201

In Person: 701 W. Sample Street, South Bend, IN

    When can I File A Police Report?

    24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

    For 311: