What is the Curb and Sidewalk Reimbursement Program?
The Curb & Sidewalk Reimbursement Program assists individual property owners in making needed repairs to curbs and sidewalks abutting their properties to protect the general public and to improve the appearance of the neighborhood. This program can also be used to add new curbs and sidewalks where there are gaps in existing connections.
Per Chapter 18, Article 3 of the South Bend Municipal Code, the maintenance and repair of curb and sidewalk is the responsibility of the abutting property owner. Residents who replace existing curb and sidewalk abutting their property are eligible for partial reimbursement of the construction costs. The Department of Public Works will reimburse $20.00 per foot of sidewalk replaced, $15.00 per foot of curb replaced and $950.00 for the replacement of a curb ramp at an intersection. Residents must independently obtain an estimate from a private, bonded contractor and complete the application form before work can begin.
Where is the Curb and Sidewalk Program provided?
All reimbursement applications must be submited to the Streets Department either in person or by mail, at the address below.City of South BendDivision of Streets731 Lafayette Blvd.South Bend, IN 46601
What is the process for the Curb & Sidewalk Reimbursement Program?
The reimbursement process consists of six steps.
- Project Estimate - Contact a licensed contractor for an estimate on curb and sidewalk repair work.
- Application - Fill out the Curb & Sidewalk Reimbursement Application and include the contractor's estimate with your submission.
- Pre-Approval - The City will complete a pre-construction inspection of the project and give pre-approval within five business days.
- Permits - Instruct the contractor to get sidewalk construction and occupancy permits from the City's Engineering Office, located on the 13th floor of the County-City Building.
- Construction - Once the contractor has completed the project and has been paid, mail in proof of payment (signed contractor invoice) along with a copy of the pre-approval application to:
Division of Streets & Sewers
731 S Lafayette Blvd
South Bend, IN 46601
- Reimbursement - The City completes post construction inspection at the property. Upon a successful inspection, a reimbursement check will be mailed within five to six weeks.
When is Curb and Sidewalk Program provided?
The final reimbursement form, including contractor signature confirming that the work is complete, must be turned in to the Streets Department by November 19, 2018.